Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Floating on Day One










Here's what I learned today. The float is titled "Passport to the World of Making Music".It is sponsored by NAMM, International Music Products Association, who teamed up with Sesame Street Workshop to bring International and American Sesame Street characters together.



We are decorating, Halum from Bagladesh




Googly from India




Lola from Mexico




and our fellow Americans, Count and Elmo




Riding up front during the parade will be the real life puppets, Bob McGrath, Miles and Rosetta.



Our morning started with cutting petals off yellow straw flowers,to be used later. We quickly moved on to gluing black onion seeds to the edges of the notes. High notes, low notes, double notes. I went on to parsley on the lamp post but Austin stuck with the onion seeds and the black stripes on Halum the tiger. Too high up on the scaffolding for me.







It's like a paint by number but only paint by color. The burlap is prepainted and we glue and paste. I bet those yellow straw flowers will go on those yellow note but I can't be sure. The lamp post is dark green and black,(parsley and onion seeds), highlighted in spots with light green (ground sweet pea). The middle of the float is the Globe and Austin did some of the blue (ocean) with ground blue cornmeal.


There were a lot of volunteers today and I found out that students here in Pasadena are required to complete 50 hours of community service before they graduate. Float decorating counts toward that requirement. What fun for them.


Time to rest up for tomorrow.

No comments: