It's Labor Day Weekend and I find myself at the Woodstock,CT Fair making fried dough. My mother would be proud, :-) I am working for Tim and Marci Dunphy
who have three trailers at this fair, fried dough, bloomin' onions and ice cream.
I first met this couple at the Barnstable County Fair over ten years ago. Every year I asked for a Dough Boy t-shirt and all I got was a fried dough. This year I said I would work for a shirt and so here I am, hard at work at the Woodstock Fair in CT.
I thought I was going to be working the window but I quickly moved into the dough.

I have learned the dough making process. Five heaping scoups flour, 2 handfuls sugar, coffee measure of yeast, a couple dashes of salt, 2 gulps of oil and a couple pitchers of water. Turn on the mixer.......make little balls, let it rise.......flatten those balls into small circles and poke a hole in the center,,,,,,,,the stretch!

I have never worked so hard for $550 in my life. 10:00am until 10:30pm non stop, this is a very busy fair. I have cut onions for the bloomin' onion trailer and made lemonade but I have mostly remained in my mothers shadow, making, cooking and selling the dough.
My trainer Jay, told the boss that I had graduated to a level two fried dough maker. Maybe I'll get a raise on my last day.
One more day to go . Happy Labor Day.

1 comment:
wow. you sure put in a long day! it must have been so hot. did you get the t-shirt???
Donna
Post a Comment